14 Mar 2015

SURFACE PATTERN DESIGNER TALES

URBAN NUMBERS


Surface Pattern Design: Photographic designs:

My idea was to create a pattern that incorporated many numbers, but to also have an urban, gritty feel. Urban Numbers (first published in 2010) was created by a series of photographs taken in my hometown Bristol over the year 2009. When I set about photographing numbers around Bristol, I was looking for different styles of numbers: in different settings, with different textures, colours and mediums. The main thing for me was they all needed to be actual numbers that were in use, so had meaning to someone.  Each number I used in this pattern was taken because it was in use within City of Bristol. Some are house numbers, office numbers, road markings, lamp post signage, etc. Within the pattern are numbers that have great meaning to me also, my home number and my parents house (which is the house I was born in), for example. For those of you who don't know Bristol, it is a really lovely city full of creative people, and when I say creative, here are just a few  J K RowlingWallace and Gromit, Banksy, Cary Grant, Beryl Cook, Damien Hirst, Jeremy Irons, Lee Evans, John Cleese, to name but a few!

In 2015 Bristol was made Green Capital of Europe. The Green Capital is awarded to cites to recognise and reward local efforts to improve the environment, the economy, and the quality of life of growing urban populations. To read more about Bristol's Green Capital, click HERE. Or you can also read an article in the Guardian about Bristol Green Capital, click HERE






   

No comments: